The purpose of separators is to create space between your back molars between your teeth, in an effort to allow for orthodontic “bands” to fit around your teeth properly.
What you need to know about separators:
- The separators are small elastic doughnut shapes.
- When the separators are placed it will feel like there is something lodged between your teeth.
- It is normal for some initial discomfort. Advil or Tylenol may be taken to ease discomfort. The discomfort should ease after a few days.
- Do not eat sticky or chewy foods that may dislodge the separators (gum, Skittles, taffy, caramels, etc.)
- We recommend a soft diet for the first few days
- Continue to brush thoroughly every day, but avoid flossing the areas where the separators are placed.
- Check every day to make sure the separators are still in place. If for any reason separators become lost please call the office to have them replaced.
Until next time, hang loose surfers!